Thursday, August 27, 2009

What a day...but the cats are fine.

Think about it, what would you do if you lost everything? I know we have home insurance and all but I mean to loose all your memories. Well, that's what happened to my next door neighbor yesterday afternoon. Her house burnt down to nothing. I started to think, what if that were my house???? I love my house. My children love their house. They always talk about having their children be part of it. We have had so much laughter and love in our home that I cannot imagine loosing it or replacing it. Wow, do we take that for granted. Memories that is....things that make us stop and smile. Things that make us want to laugh. Things that just make us feel safe and warm.

Today, I want to share a recipe that is a comfort recipe to my family. It is a South American cookie called Alfajores. This is one of those cookies that just makes it to every dessert table. The reviews I get on this cookie are outstanding so I do hope you go ahead and try it. I am sure you won't regret it.
Of course my version is low calorie and low fat.... ;-)

Alfajores

1 can of low fat condensed milk
1 cup of shredded coconut
54 water crackers

Place the unopened can in a pot of water. Make sure that the can is always covered with water. Bring pot of water to a boil and then reduce heat to medium/low and cover pot. Let boil covered for approximately 3 hours. Let cool for minimum 8 hours or overnight. Do not put in the fridge while the can is hot. Once cooled, this will keep in the fridge for up to 6 months. Any unused portion can be covered with plastic wrap and kept in the fridge for up to 3 months.
**tip... I usually boil 4 to 5 cans at a time, then use when needed.

Once cooled to room temperature, open can and begin the process of assembling the cookie. Spread a generous layer between 3 water crackers and sandwich together. Then spread a thing layer around the outer edge of the cracker and roll the cracker in coconut to cover rim. Repeat process until all the crackers are done.

It take a while but it is really worth it.

Now for today's tip...

Making life easier...You know how you have those days were you bake until your hearts content but then end up throwing away half the cakes or cookies because there were just too many and they became stale. Well, what I like to do is buy the snack size bags and fill them up. For cookies I usually put 2 per bag and seal. For cakes I usually cut out a reasonable portion and seal. Once all my bags are done and believe me there are alot. I just put them in the fridge or freezer and as I need I take out. This is great for families that have to make school lunches. Instead of buying foods with alot of sugar and preservatives, you can just grab what you need in the morning and add it to the lunches just like you would a granola bar. I usually make enough for about 2 week and it really saves on buys snacks.

Hope this tip is useful...have a great day and thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Thats so scary about your neighbor! I would totally die if that happened to me... Actually my neighbors stove caught on fire and its a good thing she was home. To be honest.. my grandparents home caught on fire when my mom and her siblings were teenagers and its hard because they lost everything and we don't have pictures or things that were our grandparents.. =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fire is my greatest fear. Yesterday I went through their house for the first time and there is nothing absolutely anything left. I would be devastated.

    ReplyDelete