Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Better late than never!

Okay, so I am a little late in writing but I think I have a pretty good reason. You see, I walked 60K this weekend in order to raise funds for Breast Cancer. This is my second year doing this and I plan on doing it again next year.



It started two years ago, when I went to meet my good friend at the finish line. I was so inspired not only by all the people that did the walk but the energy in the room. I decided to stay and listened to the closing ceremonies. There was a man with a son on either side who spoke. He spoke about doing the walk the previous year with his wife. He spoke about how he and his wife walked for hope. Unfortunately, the wife lost the battle early that year. He spoke how that day his two sons and him were walking again but this time they were walking for all women. This was all it took. I made the decision at that moment to walk and do my part. And I did. Last year I walked for the first time and it was the most empowering time of my life.



This year I walked with my sister and my husband and we have decided that we will do it again next year. The cure is not far and when you take the steps towards it .... you could actually almost see it. I walk for my daughter's future. I walk for all women.



Well, since I am 3 days late on tips...I thought I would give you 3 days worth of tips:



Saturday's Tip of the day:

One of my pet peeves is when a recipe, especially a low cal or low fat one, calls for 1 tbsp of oil and before you know it the meat or food is sticking to the pan. What I do in a case like this is I add a little water at a time when I notice that the food is starting to stick. Not only does it help the food from sticking but it also adds flavor. Try this you will be pleasantly surprised.


Sunday's Tip of the day:

I like to keep an empty container, large coffee can works well, with a small bag on it on my counter while I am doing my prep work. As I peel or cut I discard all my garbage in to this container then off goes the bag into the garbage can when I am all done. It makes clean up soooo much easier. I can bet you once you start using this set up you won't be able to not.


Monday's Tip of the day:

Want to cut calories fast.... here is a great tip. Instead of using flour tortillas, use corn tortillas. They are half the calories and fat. If you want to reduce calories even more try using rice paper. They have virtually no calories and are very yummy. Enjoy!

Tuesday's Tip of the day:

Do you know that walking is one of the best and easiest exercises you can do??? Alot of people however shy away from it because their thighs or other body parts rub and irritate the skin causing burns. Great tip to avoid this is put non perfumed deodorant on these body parts. You will be amazed how well this works. I just waked 60K and trust me I would have died without this stick.

Well I hope these tips help you out... and remember:

Information is free....it is what you do with it that reflects the price!

Have a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for doing the Cancer Awareness Fund Raiser Walk. I need to walk to more there is a High school track right next to my house I just need to do it!! No excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    I totally hear you on this. I only started exercising about 2 years ago because I was going on a trip and wanted to look a little better. I gave myself a goal of 3 months...and boy was I proud when I was finished. Then I booked another trip with my daughter and I gave myself another 3 months... I did it again. I must say it took me about 8 months of exercising to finally say ...okay it's not that bad. Now everything I do is in small doses. That way I enjoy the moment and I am able to complete it.
    Good luck on your walk.

    ReplyDelete